The ALGA collection is the biggest repository of historical materials about homosexuals and homosexuality in Australia.
The collection is based at the Victorian AIDS Council in South Yarra (Melbourne).
If you’d like to visit the Archives to use our collection, please read the important information about planning your visit.
Our collection policy (pdf) tells you more about what we collect.
There are more than 1576 titles (over 40,000 items) in our periodicals collection. It includes newspapers, magazines and newsletters from Australia, New Zealand, the USA, the UK, the Netherlands, Sweden and Japan. The Ladder and Physique magazines are on display, while William and John and the Star Observer have been microfiched by the State Library of NSW.
- Our periodicals list (pdf, 846 KB), 2013 edition, ver 2 at 29 September 2013.
- Can you fill any gaps in our collection?
- We welcome feedback on our list through our comments form (pdf) or by email to email@example.com.
Indexes to some of our periodicals are available for reference at the Archives: see our list of indexed titles (pdf).
- Our chronology of periodicals titles (pdf) shows the publishing history of key newspapers, newsletters and magazines.
Tapes dating back to mid 1950s, radio broadcasts, conferences, speeches at public meetings and demonstrations, interviews on all types of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues … if it has been said and recorded, there is a chance we might have it.
Feature films, documentaries, safe sex / sex education videos/films, daytime talk shows, music video clips, etc. Titles include:
- The Set, movie (Australia, prod. Frank Brittain, 1969) – the first ‘gay’ movie to be made in Australia
- Number 96, television series (Australia, 1972-1977) – Australia’s first supersoap, and the first to feature a gay character; we hold 5 episodes as a sample of the series
Requested videos can be viewed at the Archives – please contact us, allowing a week’s notice.
Like the other collections in the Archives, our videos are available for reference, but not for loan.
ALGA does not own copyright in much of the audio-visual material in the collection. Researchers wishing to reproduce audio-visual material will need to obtain permission from the copyright owners.
Over 1100 items: see our listing (pdf, 1059 KB), prepared by the late Kym Makkaan.
Theses and research papers
A selection of honours, masters and PhD theses, along with a small collection of other academic research and policy papers. Listing (pdf, 104 KB)
Theses on GLBTI topics can also be found through the National Library’s Trove website .
Over 40,000, chronologically ordered, Australia-wide, down to 2003.
The 2010 edition of our annotated list of editorials in Australian newspapers related to homosexuality (pdf, 79 KB) spans the years 1913 to 1991. Most of the 395 editorials listed are available in our clippings collection.
Selected newspapers down to 1954 can be searched and viewed through the National Library’s Trove website.
Over 2000 files from individuals and groups, covering venues, events, flyers, leaflets, postcards, theatre programs and more. Subject listing (pdf, 166 KB)
Over 4200 titles, fiction and nonfiction. See our listing (pdf, 776 KB).
- We also have a wishlist of books we’d like to acquire. If you’d like to help us by donating a copy or sponsoring a purchase, please contact us. We’re very grateful to our donors for helping us build our collection.
Like the other collections in the Archives, books are available for reference, but not for loan. If you’re looking to borrow a title in our collection, you may be able to find a copy in the National Library’s Trove database. It lists public library holdings across Australia. Many are available for inter-library loan.
Highlights include the records of Society Five (Melbourne’s first gay rights organisation), the National Homosexual Conferences of the 1970s and 1980s, and the Homosexual Law Reform Coalition (1975-80).
We also hold copies of the Greg Weir papers at the National Library of Australia, the scrapbooks of Monte Punshon from the 1920s and 1930s, Tommy McDermott’s photos of camp life in Melbourne from the 1940s to the 1960s, papers of poet Lyn Palmer, and the scrapbook of the organisers of the Australasian Lesbian Movement in 1970-72, among other collections.
Badges, banners and t-shirts
Our list of calendars (pdf, 52 KB)
Our lesbian and gay guides and directories (listing, pdf) chart the growth and diversity of Australian GLBTI community groups, businesses and travel from the 1970s to the present day.
Our list of theatre programs (pdf), including our collection of productions by Robert Chuter.
- Lucy Chesser’s Bibliography of Australian Lesbian History (pdf, 134KB)
- Towards Homosexual Equality in Australian Criminal Law: A Brief History, by Graham Carbery (pdf, 226KB)
- Our listing of Editorials in Australian Newspapers Related to Homosexuality, 1913-91 (pdf, 79KB)
- Australian Lesbian and Gay History: A Bibliography 1999 (pdf, 71KB)