For many years now, ALGA has been conducting history walks to reveal and revel in Melbourne’s very queer history. These are a regular highlight of the Midsumma program, and subject to volunteer availability we are able to consider one-off requests for organisations or groups.
The Archives is a volunteer-run organisation and our walks are a fund-raising, as well as a fun-raising, part of the Archives. We charge $20 per person, with a minimum charge of $400 and a maximum group size of 30. Please let us know if you’re a low-income or volunteer group as we can adjust our fee accordingly.
We can offer any of the past history walks listed below, which take 90 minutes.
- Our 2009 walk (program pdf, 257 KB) took on the city, starting at the State Library.
- Our 2010 virtual walk toured Queer Oz Folk.
- In 2011 we headed over the river to South Yarra (program pdf, 1.7MB)
- Our 2012 walk covered the north-east corner of the city (program pdf, 2MB).
- In 2013 we explored the centre of town, strolling to the Treasury Gardens (program pdf, 450KB).
- Melbourne University was the venue for our 2014 walk (program pdf, 900KB).
- We helped with Dino Hodge’s 2014 Darwin Gay History Walk (program pdf, 860KB).
- In 2015 we perambulated Fitzroy (program pdf, 1.2MB).
- In 2016 we revisited South Yarra (program pdf, 2.35MB)
- Our 2017 walk meandered through East Melbourne to the Fitzroy Gardens(program pdf, 3MB)
- In 2018 we saw saw the State Library again, this time heading south through the city (program pdf, 2.34MB)
- In 2019 we went seaside to St. Kilda (program pdf, 2.85MB)